In the era when the sea was the main highway linking Sydney to Brisbane, Trial Bay was ideally situated mid-way to offer ships a place of refuge. Named after the shipwreck Trial, the bay required the building of a breakwater to ensure protection of the ships during storms. The Gaol was built between 1877-1886, to house prisoners brought there specifically to construct the breakwater.
The Gaol was closed in 1903, but with the onset of World War 1 the Gaol was reopened to house over 500 men of German descent. The German men came from Australia and German colonies in Asia. In May 1918 the prison’s security was threatened when a German Raider was sighted in the area, and it was thought it could be a rescue attempt, so the prisoners where relocated temporarily to Holsworthy Barracks.
The prison was closed four years later and now here it stands.
During the month of August there is a Art and Sculpture exhibition on, just in case you where wondering about some of the photo’s.